Remove paint without damaging a sticker underneath delectable
Hello Guest

Remove paint without damaging a sticker underneath

• 12 Replies

Offline 69 JR.

• Director
Remove paint without damaging a sticker underneath
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
I need to remove paint over the inside door jam sticker but I don't wanna ruin the sticker under it
Is there any way to do that?

I called a couple shops and they said they won't do it cuz they specialize in collision repair..
Light em up!!  (Tires that is)

Offline noob

Re: Remove paint without damaging a sticker underneath
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
remove the sticker.... then remove the paint...then glue back the sticker...

wd40 and a razor blade to remove the sticker...

sav03cobra

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
NO No no.....

Its probably a two-part sticker and will show void or not valid upon removal. 

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
I assume its overspray? anyways there is no good answer here, you may be able to use a rag with some laquer thinner to remove the paint, just rub very lightly and start on the very edge incase it eats the sticker up, if its a urethane baseed paint then you may have to use a more aggresive solvent.

Offline 69 JR.

• Director
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
It wasn't overspray.. The guy that painted the truck painted over the sticker in the door jam, why did he do that? I have no idea..
I just used some paint stripper but the sticker was really old and faded so it's hard to read

If anyone knows a place to get the door jam sticker for a 91 s10 let me know!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Just out of curiosity what do you need them for, reason I ask is I don't have any stickers on my 88s10 and I'm not sure if I'll need that for safety next month.

Offline noob

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »
they are just specs for the vehicle.... any body shop can order it for you...they just need your vin

Offline 69 JR.

• Director
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
Apparently for recon I need it
Why? Who knows. the people there pick on people with what mood they're in and how picky they want to be so he said I need the sticker to make sure the tires on the truck are able to handle the load it's supposed to, even with aftermarket rims

Offline 01stangGT

• Retired Director
  • Chanan Brester
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
just leave it faded as long as its there and can see it , it should be good. plaus its got the vin on it and u don't wanna do swap with another truck
2001 Mustang GT Supercharged **Sold** (Biggest regret)
2004 Mustang GT 40th Anniverasry built & cammed **Sold**
2014 Mustang GT Track Pack **Sold**

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »
Recon, that's what I was dreading lol getting ready to lower the s10 and deck it out, thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »
REAL LONG STORY!....About 15 yrs. ago I had a 91 S10 that also had a faded decal/sticker that has the tire specs, I went to get recon and it took 3 days in a row to get it, the 1st day my license plate was to low(lowered truck) and my vette rally wheels had bigger tires on them, guy told me to go to a tire shop and get a letter to show the tires are capable of the trucks load, and to go to and go to a weigh station and bring the paper the weight of the truck. 2nd day I brought the letter, the weight of the truck, and fixed the plate, same guy tells me that my u- bolts on the rear can't be lower the the rim, so I leave buy some 1 " blocks and install them. 3rd day, I give the guy who originally inspected my truck all the paper work, and he goes over my truck again, he goes into the office and another inspector comes out and starts checking my truck again, he sees the faded tire spec sticker and tells the other guy I can't pass because he can't read the load rating, so I explain the 1st inspector has the paper work for the whole tire thing, anyway the 2nd guy tells me, " what, you wen steal this truck and put the sticka back on brah". I ended cussing that guy out in front of everyone there,and threatening to break his mouth for call me a thief, but in the end the 1st inspector pulled me on the side calmed me down and said "relax bruddah I'll give you the recon".

Offline 93cleeenLX

• ALL THROTTLE, NO BOTTLE
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
Lacquer thinner will remove the paint from the sticker, might fade it but paint will come right off, unless it's clear coated over it.  The clear is resistant to the thinner.  But because the sticker is not porous you stand a chance at getting it off

Offline hi5.0

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
Re-Con. Oh what fun. And for what? Nothing.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.