lilywhite
The Third Sign
Hello Guest

The Third Sign

• 21 Replies

Offline SOM9D6SS

The Third Sign
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
As some of you know, I will officially own a Ford in about 10 days.  So, start packing your crap...  the end is near!  LOL  My folks are gettin' on in age, and their Christmas present to me was shipping me their hardly used 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with a 5.0, that has a scant 50K miles on the clock.  Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Ford or Chevy, this is gonna be our family's new Kart Hauler.  It should be here around the 23rd.

So, while I don't wanna go nuts and mod the crap outta this thing, I do want to make it more suitable to towing a 1000 pound trailer and driving a little safer as a spare vehicle.  All I'm looking at right now are a drop kit, sway bars, shocks, brakes and bigger tires/wheels...  maybe a cat-back and some headers.  Maybe.  I've been playing around looking at various sites, and while I admit I'm not trying too hard, I don't really know what vendors cater to this platform anymore.  I have found a ton of stuff to lift a 4x4 version, but not a lot to drop a 2wd one.  Also curious about what factory wheels might fit...  I've seen a couple guys with F-150 HD wheels on their Explorers and they stick out too far for my taste, so something with a better offset would be preferred.  Saw a set of 19" newer Mustang wheels on CL and thought those would be great.  (?)

Basically, any and all advice is welcome...  and easy on the teasing!  ;-)
1996 Sunset Orange Metallic Impala SS - 249hp & 296tq - 14.78 @ 90.12 mph - 4440lbs w/ driver

Retired Autocrosser - Retired Drag Racer - Retired Road Racer - Still a Daily Driver

Offline Joe Babooze

• Suffering from occasional irregularity
Re: The Third Sign
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
Shit I better start praying the rosary again.  I need to repent for all of my sins.
One of these days, Alice!

Offline SOM9D6SS

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Wow...  40 views and you're the only one to comment.  Guess the Ford guys aren't any help on a Ford...  LOL  Oh, well...  ;-)
1996 Sunset Orange Metallic Impala SS - 249hp & 296tq - 14.78 @ 90.12 mph - 4440lbs w/ driver

Retired Autocrosser - Retired Drag Racer - Retired Road Racer - Still a Daily Driver

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Don't drop it.  It screws up the handling.  Put in for more power with a Paxton or Vortec.  However, the tranny is the weak link as it the same one used in the much lighter Ford Ranger.  No flooring the pedal if you want it to live longer.  It will need a rebuild no matter what between 70K and 120K miles, depending on how it was used and the load factor. 

This web site is extremely helpful for mods that work and what to avoid:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/

Have fun and welcome to Ford Country. 8)

Offline Joe Babooze

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
If you are looking at the centrificals, more boost on the top end.  I would think positive displacement type blowers would be more beneficial since torque comes on early in the power band.  Just a thought.  Kenne Bell comes to mind.  Although the lower intake would have to be swapped to the stock Mustang 5.0 intake from the fox to make it work since that's what the blower will bolt up to.  A swap to aluminum heads and a mild cam, that would be a cool ride.  The tranny NH is the weak link, AODe I believe.  But can be rebuilt to handle the extra torque. 8.8 rear end so pretty much all Mustang gear sets should bolt in, assuming this is a 2wd. 

Offline SOM9D6SS

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »
Thanks for the link, Don...  but, uh, dropping it will screw up the handling?  So when is the lift kit going on the GT350?  LOL  A proper drop, sways and shocks will help stabilize the rig.  I'm not gonna autocross it, but if I have to make an quick lane change, I'm not gonna flip over.  ;-)

Mahalos, as well, Mr Babooze...  there is a YouTube clip of the Kenny Brown Explorer from back in the late 90s.  It's kinda what I'm shooting for.  Nothing huge - I'm only towing about 1,000 pounds - but enough to do the job with the least amount of effort.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »
Can't wait till the 23rd....I gotta see this .  :faint:
www.HawaiianHotRod.com
Hawaiian Hot Rod and Metal Works

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Ford???? then you gotta check out the "evolution" by Edge Products. That was the best thing I ever did on my F 150. That was 9 years ago. Still serving well and keeping me happy. Check it out!

Offline SOM9D6SS

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »
Glen...  no doubt.  I think the next things is seas turning red and locusts...  LOL

I checked out Edge Products...  only goes back to '99...  mine will be a '97.

Offline Joe Babooze

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
Glen...  no doubt.  I think the next things is seas turning red and locusts...  LOL

I checked out Edge Products...  only goes back to '99...  mine will be a '97.

You watching the Ten Commandments again? 

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
Gotta admit.... the Ford that Mr. SOM9D6SS has acquired is in top shape !  Really nice... in and out !  8)

Brought the car to the Team GKR Batcave garage to have a towhitch and wiring done.

Photos attached...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:44:49 PM by IronMan »
www.HawaiianHotRod.com

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »
Repent .... the end is near !  :wtf:

Photos attached...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:45:09 PM by IronMan »
www.HawaiianHotRod.com

Offline SOM9D6SS

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »
Again... thanks so much Glen!  Having you guys help out makes me feel a lot better that it's done right and won't have problems later.  That was the most extensive trailer wiring harness I have done so far.  Now to find exhaust and a drop kit!  ;-)

Offline mberry

• General Computer Nerd
  • just crazy talk--->>
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
Find a spindle drop for the front. Else its gonna wander like crazy on the highway.

Intake and throttle body will help with fuel and power. And you need full exhaust because reasons :)
'88 fox LX cone smasher (302, forged internals, lunati voodoo, cobra intake, SLP LM2s, MM Track pack, rattle can paint, and yes, i can fit 315s on all 4 tires!)
fire red '03 cobra...built engine...broken...rat food
sonic blue '03 cobra, 3.4 whipple, long tubes, SRA, return style fuel, ID1000s.

Offline Joe Babooze

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
That's a really nice Explorer.  Get some Flowmasters on there.  Might have to go duals out one side as it looks like the drivers side has the gas tank under there.  Still, some shorties and a 2-1/2" setup and it'll get uncorked pretty good.  Sounding like a fox but not looking like one.  Very cool.  With a little Vortech V-1 with straight cut gears for all the ricers to go WTF.  LOL

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.