lilywhite
lilywhite
Beware of New California Muffler Standards  
Hello Guest

• 9 Replies
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
Hawaii is known to follow some of California regulations.  Modified muffler decibel limit is now 95db, $1000 fine.

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-california-exhaust-law-changed-automatic-1000-fine-non-correctable/

No "fix it" ticket aloowed, automatic $1000 fine when cited.

Re: Beware of New California Muffler Standards
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
Does this new noise level limit include motorcycles and mopeds??

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
It refers to "motor vehilces" which would include those that have modified.  Watch out phart canners!

Offline Joe Babooze

• Suffering from occasional irregularity
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
Apparently they feel that autos are more of a nuisance than motorcycles....SMH.  Yep, the phart can and the late model dummies with no mufflers are ruining it for everyone.  Loud and raspy stuff gets irritating after a while, but apparently the younger crowd thinks this is cool. Wait a few years when you gotta wear a hearing aid and you'll wish you did things a little smarter.....

I have said it before, the DOHC Ford Engines are raspy to begin with and need a resonator to cut the offensive stuff.  Ford engineers spent a lot of time and money to get the sound right.  As I've said before, when you start to mix and match exhaust components with no thought as to how they will work together, you get a noise maker without a lot of tone.
One of these days, Alice!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:41 PM »
If it's too loud, your too old, right.?    Actually, I prefer quality over quantity with good sound.  I like an road exhaust that does not try to immitate something with a bunch of non-muffler pipes doing the quarter.  That sounds nice for 11 seconds on a race course only.  I would rather have an impressive tone that makes you want to chek ou the ride rather than one that scares the little kids.  Hearing aid?  Nah, rather be able to ignore what I cannot hear.

Almost all racetracks in Calif. have had a 92 or 95 dB sound limit for years.  Now there are taking the rule to the streets. 

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
That's why I'm leaving the stock h-pipe on instead of getting an after market x-pipe.  The Bassani cat-back is 1000% better than the welded in Flow masters.  Quality tone, no rasp and loud enough at WOT to make me smile.  Actually, at WOT the car sounds amazing!!  Never had a 4-valve before and I'm learning.  :rockon:

Offline fredfifty

• Git 'Um
    • 415Muscle
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 06:58:11 AM »
and this is why i forked out for the $1k magnaflow 50 state x-pipe....smog is a pain in the ass too.  but im wondering what rpm the db will be measured at...hopefully its at idle
RIP Edson Veloro 07-11-77 ~ 10-23-09
92 LX Coupe - Proj.
16 STi DD

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
You can keep the cats as we have no place to legally drag race, so you you don't need that extra 10-15 hp and tenth of a second.  Ford big cats run well and keep the annoying raspy sound to a minimum. As for noise level, the best thing to do is keep your foot from stompimg on the gas in an enclosed parking lot or crowded neighborhood so it will limit letters to the editor and appeals for all kinds of more regulation on our toys.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:56:35 AM »
 :evil: :lookaround: :rockon:

Offline onederful100

• Retired Director
  • if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »
  :lookaround:

Whipple Crew Member

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.